September 3, 2012

The Arte of Metal: A Conversation with Beth Botak of Kabela Design

Many beading magazines grace the racks in stores, and when you look closely, you’ll likely spy at least one arte metal creation from Kabela Design.

Beth Botak
Kabela (named after their two first grandchildren, Katie and Isabella) specializes in US manufactured jewelry components made from original filigree, Art Deco and Art Nouveau stampings in raw brass, copper and fine silver coating. Using dye plates dating back as far as 1904, these works of art in their right offer designers the opportunity to create vintage style jewelry with a contemporary twist.

CS: Kabela has become a well-branded name in the arte metal jewelry space. Tell me about how you and your family got your business plan into action?

bracelet
BB: I was an activities director for a nursing home for 25 years. It was an amazing opportunity to educate others, but I knew I had to do something different. My daughter Kelly made flameworked pendants and we walked into A Queen Bead in Media, PA to sell some of her wares. The shop needed help, and I ended up working there. Then I started doing bead shows. I always felt there was a force behind me gently pushing. I needed to offer something that no one else had.

That niche item? Displays. Velveteen busts—not readily available at the time and she sold them to other jewelers at shows. It was high margin business. Vintage lucite was the rage

designs
BB: I loved the Deco-Nouveau look and colorations so I investigated making my own jewelry component products in the US. I got online to look for manufacturers but found a very closed book. After months of searching, there it was: My line of perfect components, made here in the US. I contacted them and ordered 12 trays to start. That was 4 years ago.

Beth and her husband Tom grew the business together after his job in railroad logistics changed. Now with their daughter Kelly and co-worker Gina, this selling team does 48 bead shows a year around the country, as well as keep up with their full time website. (If you see Bethy at a show, mention you read this blog and expect a big hug and a gift.)

CS: You’re in many publications and I see you advertise in so many places…how do you target where to place ads and measure success?

BB: When you do 48 shows a year your name gets out there. We’re in practically every issue of Bead Design (formerly Bead Unique). Also Bead Style and several others. I’ve met so many writers and publishers. Debbie Simon is using our components in her new Interweave book. I am a firm believer in advertising. I think it’s important when you have a business to get to know everyone. Tom and I travel all over the country, we have made so many friends in advertising and feel incredibly fortunate to be part of some very big bead companies such as Artbeads and Fusion Beads to name a few.

metal work
Innovative Bead Expo is a favorite show for Kabela. I met Beth there as I glanced at a finding in her display and paused to consider how I might mount my fused glass cabochons in her components. Not only did she spend a great amount of quality time training me to think differently about how to set my handmade cabs, she and Tom offered unique ideas. I’ve seen similar components on the market, but was hooked by Kabela as I could visualize my final design.
CaraSmiths fused glass cabochon wrapped in Kabela filigree

CS: How do you differentiate yourself from your competition?

BB: We’re a small family business and that allows us to be much more personal with our customers. We hand sign every invoice and add personalized gifts based on what they ordered and what we think they might like. A large percentage of our line comes from a fourth generation US-based family business and we have our components treated with the highest quality, nickel free plating available. We do not try to cut costs or corners and we believe it shows in our pieces.

I love people. In Sante Fe there was a group in our booth as I explained our wholesale policy. A woman handed me her card which said she was world renowned sculptor Estella Loretto. The next day we went touring, and at the Basilica saw her Indian version of the Madonna. My cell rang and it was Estella, inviting us to see her studio in the mountains. Her whole yard is full of sculptures, and she wanted to trade with ME for a piece of my art. Not only has Kabela been a wonderful business for us, but it has also allowed us to meet so many amazing people. I feel blessed.

** Photographs of Beth Botak and art pieces are the exclusive intellectual property of Beth Botak; and are being reproduced for this article with her explicit written consent.

No comments :